- Map showing Utah's best ice fishing waters
- Utah's best ice fishing waters described
- Ice fishing tips
- More ice fishing tips
We are now on the front end of the 2018-19 ice fishing season. Small, high elevation waters will freeze during the next few weeks. We'll list them here as we hear they are frozen.
Strawberry has solid ice. People are fishing in many areas but there may yet be soft spots so be careful.
Panguitch Lake has solid ice and good fishing.
Manatua now has ice and people report good fishing. (Note some people fell through today, 12-8-18. Watch for soft spots. Should firm up fast now with colder weather.)
Mid-elevation reservoirs are frozen and offer good fishing.
Scofield now has solid ice and good fishing.
Currant Creek and similar high elevation waters have ice and are fishing well.
High Unita Lakes: DWR says it is hearing reports that many small lakes above 8000 ft are frozen and offer ice fishing. With this storm, access will become more and more difficult. Some lakes are accessible via snowmobile.
Huntington Reservoir, a small water along Hwy 31 east of Fairview, now has ice and is supporting some fishing. Use extreme caution until ice thickens.
Fish Lake usually has solid ice around New Years.
Bear Lake may or may not freeze. The cisco run starts in mid-January and about half the time there is ice.
Flaming Gorge freeze on the upper end, and usually supports ice fishing down toward Lucerne. Bays on the Utah side may freeze but the main lake seldom does.
- New Utah catch-and-release record golden trout
- Canyon de Chelly - new article on this major Native American attraction, with photos
- Fishing Maps (We've posted maps created for the old Utah Outdoors magazine
- Saratoga Hot Springs
- Best Lures for Tiger Muskie (Pat's Picks)
- Strawberry Bay Marina Tagged Fish Contest (5-23-18)
- Hot fishing for white bass at Utah Lake (5-22-18)
- Lake Powell Anglers Needed For Bluegill/Mussel Study (DWR, 5-16-18)
- Dugway Geode Beds & Camping (5-7-18)
- Catch Kokanee At Strawberry - Excellent Tips on Where, How Deep, What to Use (Strawberry Anglers May 2017)
- Scientists hope bug experiment fattens Colorado River fish at Lees Ferry (KSL 5-1-18)
- Kanarra Falls hike now requires a permit (4-27-18)
- Catch fish in solitude - DWR Recommends Top Waters (DWR 4-27-18)
- Mercury levels elevated in brown trout at Causey Reservoir (Standard Examiner 4/24/18)
- More walleye for Willard Bay (DWR 4/7/18)
- How to tie fishing knots (4/7/18)
- Steinaker Bluegill Salvage - Volunteers Needed (DWR)
- 9 waterfalls you should see this spring in southcentral Idaho (KSL 4/24/18)
- Fighting to preserve Coalville Ledge petroglyphs (KSL 4/18/18)
- Catch and kill order for northern pike in Utah Lake (DWR 4-16-18)
- DWR lists best waters to fish with your family this spring
- Guided Tour Through Mystery Valley at Monument Valley
- Guided Tour Through Monument Valley
- South Fork Indian Canyon Pictographs
- Rockhounding Topas Mountain
- Red Rock Therapy in Little Wildhorse Canyon
Pelican Lake Treatment Postponed
Pelican Lake will not be treated with rotenone until October 2018. Details.
Lake Trout Record Revoked
The huge catch-and-release lake trout recently hauled in at Flaming Gorge, mentioned below, will not stand as a Utah record because the guy's license had expired the day before he caught the fish. Details here.