Disabled veterans are invited to fish at Strawberry on June 23. Volunteers with boats are needed to take them fishing. Details.
Best Bets for Summer
Fishing has been very good this spring (2018). Typically, action slows a bit as we move into the heat of summer. Here are tips to stay on the fish.
- First light and last light will be key times to fish
- Head into the mountains (Uintas, Boulders usually offer creat fishing)
- At Strawberry and other reservoirs you will need to fish deeper. A fish finder really helps. Bait fishing, jigging and trolling can be effective.
- On streams, runoff has ended and action can be great. Talk to the guys in the fly shops to see what is working.
- Lake Powell striped bass will soon start feeding on the surface. Typically, some action will start in early July and become very good later that month. Lake July, August and early September usually offer incredibley good fishing.
- Catfish action remains very good through summer. The hotter the better for cats. They are a great target for all night fishing adventures.
- Fishing Maps (We've posted maps created for the old Utah Outdoors magazine
- Saratoga Hot Springs
- Best Lures for Tiger Muskie (Pat's Picks)
- Strawberry Bay Marina Tagged Fish Contest (5-23-18)
- Hot fishing for white bass at Utah Lake (5-22-18)
- Lake Powell Anglers Needed For Bluegill/Mussel Study (DWR, 5-16-18)
- Dugway Geode Beds & Camping (5-7-18)
- Catch Kokanee At Strawberry - Excellent Tips on Where, How Deep, What to Use (Strawberry Anglers May 2017)
- Scientists hope bug experiment fattens Colorado River fish at Lees Ferry (KSL 5-1-18)
- Kanarra Falls hike now requires a permit (4-27-18)
- Catch fish in solitude - DWR Recommends Top Waters (DWR 4-27-18)
- Mercury levels elevated in brown trout at Causey Reservoir (Standard Examiner 4/24/18)
- More walleye for Willard Bay (DWR 4/7/18)
- How to tie fishing knots (4/7/18)
- Steinaker Bluegill Salvage - Volunteers Needed (DWR)
- 9 waterfalls you should see this spring in southcentral Idaho (KSL 4/24/18)
- Fighting to preserve Coalville Ledge petroglyphs (KSL 4/18/18)
- Catch and kill order for northern pike in Utah Lake (DWR 4-16-18)
- DWR lists best waters to fish with your family this spring
- Guided Tour Through Mystery Valley at Monument Valley
- Guided Tour Through Monument Valley
- South Fork Indian Canyon Pictographs
- Rockhounding Topas Mountain
- Red Rock Therapy in Little Wildhorse Canyon
Utah DWR is teaming up with Smith & Edwards to help anglers learn to catch wipers at Willard Bay and other waters. Details.
The reservoir is scheduled to be drained for dam repairs and biologists hope anglers will help catch and move as many bass as possible. The event will take place on May 5. Details.
Pelican Lake Treatment Postponed
Pelican Lake will not be treated with rotenone until October 2018. Details.
Lake Trout Record Revoked
The huge catch-and-release lake trout recently hauled in at Flaming Gorge, mentioned below, will not stand as a Utah record because the guy's license had expired the day before he caught the fish. Details here.