Best Bets for Summer
- Lake Powell striped bassare now boiling on the surface on the extreme upper lake, from Good Hope Bay to North Wash. Probably also boiling on the upper San Juan arm. We are now starting some of the most exciding fishing of the year. See wayneswords.com for current reports and recommendations.
- Kokanee fishing is very good at Flaming Gorge, Strawberry and other waters, and the action will probably get even better as we move into late summer. The fish are deep; jig or troll with downriggers to get down to them.
- The high country (Uintas, Boulders) is open and providing great fishing. Dark flies or small lures work well in most lakes and streams.
- First light and last light are now key times to fish
- Catfish action remains very good through summer. The hotter the better for cats. They are a great target for all night fishing adventures.
- New Utah catch-and-release record golden trout
- Canyon de Chelly - new article on this major Native American attraction, with photos
- Fishing Maps (We've posted maps created for the old Utah Outdoors magazine
- Saratoga Hot Springs
- Best Lures for Tiger Muskie (Pat's Picks)
- Strawberry Bay Marina Tagged Fish Contest (5-23-18)
- Hot fishing for white bass at Utah Lake (5-22-18)
- Lake Powell Anglers Needed For Bluegill/Mussel Study (DWR, 5-16-18)
- Dugway Geode Beds & Camping (5-7-18)
- Catch Kokanee At Strawberry - Excellent Tips on Where, How Deep, What to Use (Strawberry Anglers May 2017)
- Scientists hope bug experiment fattens Colorado River fish at Lees Ferry (KSL 5-1-18)
- Kanarra Falls hike now requires a permit (4-27-18)
- Catch fish in solitude - DWR Recommends Top Waters (DWR 4-27-18)
- Mercury levels elevated in brown trout at Causey Reservoir (Standard Examiner 4/24/18)
- More walleye for Willard Bay (DWR 4/7/18)
- How to tie fishing knots (4/7/18)
- Steinaker Bluegill Salvage - Volunteers Needed (DWR)
- 9 waterfalls you should see this spring in southcentral Idaho (KSL 4/24/18)
- Fighting to preserve Coalville Ledge petroglyphs (KSL 4/18/18)
- Catch and kill order for northern pike in Utah Lake (DWR 4-16-18)
- DWR lists best waters to fish with your family this spring
- Guided Tour Through Mystery Valley at Monument Valley
- Guided Tour Through Monument Valley
- South Fork Indian Canyon Pictographs
- Rockhounding Topas Mountain
- Red Rock Therapy in Little Wildhorse Canyon
Pelican Lake Treatment Postponed
Pelican Lake will not be treated with rotenone until October 2018. Details.
Lake Trout Record Revoked
The huge catch-and-release lake trout recently hauled in at Flaming Gorge, mentioned below, will not stand as a Utah record because the guy's license had expired the day before he caught the fish. Details here.